Saturday, February 3, 2018

The Times, it is a’ changing

By LOU ANTONELLI
Managing Editor
I have to say Patricia and I are very pleased at how well things have been going at the paper. It’s hard work – being self-employed always is – but we are holding our own and the money, as well as the news, keeps rolling in.
I knew from reviewing the “financials” before we bought the paper it was in the black and quite capable of supporting itself if it had owner/operators, and I have been proven correct. There are days I have to make two trips to the bank, one for the deposit that comes in the mail and a later one in the afternoon for what walks in the door.
Of course, money talks, and being a small businessman all mine says is “Buh-bye”, but if enough comes in to pay the bills and payroll, I am more than happy.
Today marks the previously announced price increase in our subscriptions. I’ve heard no complaints. People seem to have completely understood our reasoning, and as I suspected, a number of people have renewed even though their subscription wasn’t up –some for two years. Johnnie Lee has the record so far, renewing for three years (Thanks Johnnie!).
A lot of people have used subscription renewals as an opportunity to meet Patricia and I and welcome us as the new owners of the paper. That’s as good an excuse as any, but feel free to drop in any time! I have a completely open door policy. If you know me, I’m easy to talk to.
We got the vending machine in front of the office that was broken actually up and running, and we are actively looking to get a hold of more vending machines, When the Texarkana Gazette stopped distributing in Clarksville, I called them and offered to buy their machines in Red River County if they could spare them.
I never heard back, but the next day they took a truck and hauled them all back to Texarkana. Jeez, guys, makes me wonder you thought I was going to steal them!
The Gazette is a good newspaper, but we are perhaps a little far way from their home base, and they probably decided what sales there were didn’t justify the gas and effort to distribute here. My best report is that the nearest they come now is DeKalb.
People who had home delivery apparently have been converted to mail subscriptions,
The Times has some specials coming up. Our next issue on Feb, 8 will feature some special advertising and articles marking Black History Month.
The week after that, on Feb. 15, we will be having our special annual feature on our Tiger basketball team, which is having a great season (as usual) and are playoff bound.
Feb. 15 is also a day after Valentine’s Day, and I have an idea I’ll hope you like. I want to run a series of ads with the theme “I (HEART) Clarksville because…” to give people and businesses the opportunity to say out loud what’s good and right about Clarksville.
As I have said again and again and again, the default setting for public opinion and gossip in small towns is negative. Let’s make a conscious effort to says what’s RIGHT about Clarksville and accentuate the positive (I think that was a song long ago).
I thought of the heart symbol and the holiday and it kind of came together. If I call you soon, you’ll know what I have in mind.
If I can stay positive and cheerful in a business that is undergoing so much change, surely you can also.
You will probably notice just turning the pages of this issue that our advertising is increasing. I’ve been making many of the calls myself, and the support from the business community – as well as the public in general – has been great.

I get very, very cheerful support and comments from other businessmen when I tell them I know what they face “because I’m self-employed, too.” It’s hard to be self-supporting and running a small business, too, but let’s face it, it’s that hard-working independent spirit that makes America great.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Clarksville City Hall closed to public because of COVID

 Effective Thursday, January 7, 2021, 12:00 noon, City of Clarksville offices will be temporarily closed to the public.  These measures are ...